Monday, June 7, 2021

The Babysitter, new and improved

I went ahead and published the heavily edited/ revised version of The Babysitter. I managed to delete 8 pages' worth of stuff that didn't need to be in there. Including all the Piper POV parts and the first conversation between her and Tobey... they're just planning stuff, it doesn't matter and the twins are the stars of the show so there should be minimal stuff from my characters' point of view. I left in the demon parts. A few people have read my book since it was first published, so I didn't want it to be vastly different. But, I realized that if the first book is a mess then no one will stick around for the rest of the series. (If they're like me and want to read the books in order.) The first book sets up Piper's backstory and her reason for wanting to kill the twins. So I think re-publishing it would be better than doing a "special edition." I do have that new cover with the GAN images, though. But if I did that I'd want to update all the covers (the ones I did in Illustrator). I tweaked the cover of Book 1 slightly, cleaning up some stuff (Piper's hair, Steven's ear, and all the strokes in their features that are "uniform" are now tapered because that makes it softer/more like hand-drawn than computer-drawn). Then I ordered a paperback copy for myself, so I can read the revised version and check for typos (AGAIN). Although some parts I've read so many times that I'm not sure I would notice if there were any mistakes. On one page it said "then" instead of "than," for years and years before I caught it.

I just noticed that two paperbacks of The Babysitter were sold in April... so I'm still worried about people being mad if they have to buy it again. But, that would be if they were as obsessive as I am. Hopefully they knew what they were getting into with the paperbacks. Maybe they could buy the Kindle version of the updated book. As a kid/teen I was always noticing discrepancies between different editions of the same book (With a Wave of the Wand by Mark Jonathan Harris and Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones are two that stand out in my mind) so I don't want people to be mad or wonder what's up with the edits. Hopefully I'm thinking about this way too much.

Also Amazon keeps wanting to put this book in a "books about babysitting" category which is clearly wrong LOL. I put the disclaimer on there ("this isn't a children's book") and everything.

Then I went back to looking at my new book that I might as well finish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment