Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Robin Hardwick is my Hero

I feel like Robin Hardwick, author of the blog The Dairi Burger and book If You Lived Here, You'd Be Perfect by Now, has done a foot-in-the-door thing for me, with these books. Because she presented us with the idea of making fun of Sweet Valley High (a thing accepted by most people, except the negative-reviewers on Amazon who said it was "mean." They need to get a life). I mean, I've been defacing my SVT books for over a decade, but that's my own private quirk. I'm sure there were oodles of SV fanfic already on the web, but I find that weird because the "serious" fanfic and the parodies are mixed in together. Like, if you're making fun of it, it's not fanfic, it's the opposite. There were some parodies, I think.
I loved her book; it made me LOL. "Francine, stop trying to make rape chic happen." (Even though it needed a good proofreader. Always proofread/ edit before you turn your blog into a book.*)
So yeah, that makes it okay to do my thing (in my mind), especially since she was focused on the absurdity of Sweet Valley High only, and I am doing Sweet Valley Twins (so I'm not copying, promise!). Different series, still absurd. (Jessica was somewhat of a sociopath even at age 12).
Also it's a way to sneak my fantasy and horror themes on people, as a test run for later (to see if I can be an author).
Robin Hardwick also got to interview Francine Pascal and asked her point-blank about the ghostwriters, which is awesome. I love Ms. Pascal's rather vehement response. Yes, technically they did write the books, although Ms. Pascal probably gave them a very detailed outline.

*Or before you turn your Twilight fanfic into hideously bad erotica. Looking at you, E. L. James. With your 50 Shades of Bad Grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment