Thursday, April 2, 2015

Cover Designs

This is taken from my other blog, put here for handy reference.
>>Also, I'm considering re-designing the covers. I can design better covers than that. (Which is why I'm publishing under a pseudonym, so my former teachers won't be embarrassed.) It's just that my books are parodies of Sweet Valley Twins, and the cover reflects that, using the same dopey fonts, 90s layout, and an illustration in the style of James Mathewuse (who always made the twins in Sweet Valley High look like they were posing for a Sears catalog... and at 12, they're also ridiculously glamorous... or had various fashion mishaps*). I have to think about that more. Probably leave them the way they are for now. But I would love to redesign the covers for shits and giggles, maybe do something minimalist with object imagery instead of illustrated people. That would attract more readers. But they wouldn't know what they're getting into. It would be like a smack in the face. "What is this I don't even".




*Some of my favorites include "Liz's fly is open" (it was rendered in a way that made it look like that) and "Sure, wear a blue headband with a purple shirt... it matches." 
I feel like the Unicorn Club books (the series when the twins were in 7th grade and the Unicorn Club got a humanitarian makeover, and therefore included Elizabeth) was when James Mathewuse lost touch with reality as far as current fashion trends. The girls were often depicted wearing purple socks that matched their shirt when that trend died at least five years prior. Or like a big shirt over tights... maybe it was supposed to be a tunic top over leggings. (Yes, I'm the cover-illustration Fashion Police.)

No comments:

Post a Comment